Guthrie Hot Topics
QUICK LINKS for the GUTHRIE GENEALOGY BLOG
LAIRDS, MINISTERS & MARTYRS
– Barony of Guthrie / Lairds of Guthrie
– The Family of James Guthrie, Laird of Pitforthie
– Rev. James Guthrie, Martyr of Sterling
LEGENDS, MYTHS, & SKELETONS
– Guthrie Surname Origins
– The Skeleton in the Burial Cist
– Guthrum, King of the Danish Vikings
– Macgothfrith to MacGuthrie
GFG3 THEORIES: PART ONE
– Documenting the Ayrshire connections of GFG3A and their proposed ancestral line
GFG3 THEORIES: PART TWO
– A discussion on the early theories about how the American GFG3 lineages fit together.
TIDEWATER VIRGINIA FAMILIES
– Online trees frequently merge these genetically unrelated families together creating a confusing situation for all.
– Documentation and discussion on the individual regions and the Guthrie families residing there.
COLONIAL PRISONERS / CONVICTS
– Not all of our colonial ancestors left the British Isles voluntarily.
– Explores locations and actual convict / transport records for North American, the West Indies, and Australia
ROBERT, JOHN, & JAMES: IRONMONGERS of EDINBURGH
– Discussion on the origin theory for these GFG2A brothers, their murky timeline, and their family connections
– Descendants of GFG2A-Branch K think they might have French Huguenot ancestry. An exploration of that theory.
– Some thoughts about merging one family line into another in our trees.
THE FORGOTTEN SONS
– Clarifying and documenting the American line of GFG3A including the missing links that tie the family together.
THOMAS GUTHREY (1796-1890) of MCMINN COUNTY, TN and his PATERNAL ANCESTRY
– Guest researcher Patrick Hoggard’s excellent report on this GFG4 family
– Includes important documentation correcting lineage errors
RARE BOOK FOUND
– Donated by a family member this appears to be an rough draft or work-in-progress for ‘Guthrie Family: Genealogy of the Guthrie Family’ by W. Hardin Guthrie.
– The author’s family belongs to the GFG2A-Branch I line of Thomas Guthrie and Mildred Howell, but there are also a variety of other Guthrie genealogies, edited family sketches, and documents on multiple families.
THE ‘FAMILY FOCUS’ SERIES
– A collected list of the Guthrie Genealogy blog entries in the Family Focus series.
– These are typically lineages still in need of Y-DNA representation (aka in an ‘Ungrouped Family Status’).
– A Genealogical / Historical Review of the family is similar to stories in the Guthrie Family Group area.
– Several updates have been posted when new participants who are Direct Line Male Guthries achieve a YDNA match to an established Guthrie Family Group.
AMERICAN REVOLUTION SERIES
– A collected list of the ongoing Guthrie Genealogy blog entries in the American Revolution series.
– An exploration of Guthrie men and women who participated as Soldiers, Sailors, Civil Leaders, and Volunteers during the Revolutionary War.
– The series will include both Guthries on both the American and British sides of the conflict.
PENNSYLVANIA ARCHIVES SERIES INDEX
– Guthrie Index and Entries from the PA Archives Series with links to the digitized books in their online repositories.
– Can also be accessed under the Reading & Resources section for USA > Pennsylvania
– Transcriptions of Ayrshire Birth and Baptismal Records. Downloadable report.
– Can also be accessed under the Reading & Resources section for Scotland
MISTAKEN IDENTITIES SERIES
– Ancestor errors found in family trees
– This ongoing topic started out in the TIDBITS area, but has moved to RESEARCH & RESOURCES due to its importance. There are countless common errors across every family tree service and platform. Many of these are caused by copy/paste errors. Some are related to merging unrelated people with similar names. This series is designed to highlight some of the most persistent mistakes.
– Brief summaries of the most common errors are found in an ongoing list of Mistaken Identities under R & R.
– More involved situations and associated research are also presented in the blog as major entries:
Mistaken Identities Series
Mistaken Identities Series: 2
Mistaken Identities Series: 3 CT/MA: Guthrie-Hickox